Finished basements are the perfect place to add extra room to a house it is a large open space that can be turned into anything.
However, sometimes basements can be damp and wet places, so in order to have a dry basement you will want to be sure to waterproof a basement before remodeling. Whether you want to add some extra bedrooms, a home gym, a home theatre, or a recreation area the first thing you will want to do is waterproof the basement.
This article outlines the basic steps necessary on how to dry a basement and keep it waterproof. Before you begin do it yourself waterproofing, it's wise to first build a basement bathroom plan including plumbing. When waterproofing a basement the first thing you will want to do is check the ground level outside of your house. It is important to make sure that the ground surrounding your basement does not slope towards the foundation, but slopes away from it.
- If the ground is slopes away from the foundation excess water will not accumulate near the house and sink in through the ground making your basement wet.
- In addition to checking the direction that the ground slopes around the foundation, you will want to ensure that your gutters are clean and the downspouts are not too close to the house.
- Because the gutters collect a lot of rainwater, clogged gutters can result in excess water building up on the edges of the house cleaning the gutters every so often will ensure that water doesn’t puddle around the house.
- Another way to keep water from accumulating around the foundation and leaking into the basement is to have your downspouts discharging at least five feet away from the foundation.
- This can be done by adding extensions to your downspouts to direct the water away from the house these extensions can be purchased at your local home improvement store.
Next you will want to examine your basement floors and walls for any cracks in the concrete and repair them.
Basement concrete floors and walls can have cracks in them that extend all the way through to the outside, which can be a source of water into the house making your basement wet.
Cracks in the concrete can be repaired by using products such as hydraulic cement fillers or injecting construction-grade epoxy to fill the cracks. After cracks in the basement floors and walls are repaired you will want to seal your walls with some waterproof paint. Both these items can be purchased at your local home improvement store, however, getting help from a professional is the best option for this kind of repair to ensure that everything is basement sealing to keep the area dry.
This type of paint for a basement can be also be purchased at a local home improvement store, making how to keep a basement dry easy. Depending on the type, waterproofing paint can either work as a waterproof concrete on the surface of the existing concrete wall, or the paint can work by expanding as it dries to become a part of the wall. Paint on waterproofing is an easy way to prevent your basement from being wet and damp.
You can either do this task on your own or hire professional painters to paint basements. After waterproofing your basement walls with paint, you will want to ensure that the floor is also waterproof. Usually existing basement floors are concrete and not very aesthetically pleasing to make the floor match better with the décor of the room you can add different flooring to the room.
There are many different ideas for floors for basements, whether you want carpet in the room or the look of hardwood floors you can ensure that the room will stay waterproof.
You can purchase waterproof floor systems for your basement that are interlocking laminate pieces that prevent the growth of mold. These types of systems are simple to assemble by just snapping together, making it easy to learn how to floor a basement. They have a nice look to them, and can have the appearance of real wood floors however, these systems are waterproof and will not act as food for the growth of mold and mildew. Wet basements are the last thing you want when renovating your house, so it is important to ensure to waterproof your basement before any remodeling is performed.