Are the floors in your home outdated, scratched, in need of restoration or even a complete replacement? Do you wish you could replace them with diy flooring ideas but do not have a very large budget to spend?
Do not worry, there are many inexpensive flooring options available that will update the look of your home without putting a huge dent in your bank account. For example, if your home follows a contemporary design, you can purchase and install cheap hardwood flooring for as little as $1 per square foot, or you can install inexpensive carpeting to create a more soft and traditional style. This article will provide you with a variety of cheap floor ideas and start you on the journey to purchasing and installing new flooring in your home. As you probably already know, there are many different materials that can be used as floors including vinyl, wood, concrete, stone, carpet, and laminate flooring tiles.
- In addition to the variety of materials, there is also an almost endless number of designs, colors, and styles that each of these materials come in, making it easier than ever to find a product that matches your home decor.
- For example, some wood flooring types include cherry, oak, or pine, and stain colors range anywhere from a light white wash to a dark brown espresso.
- These wood floors can be installed in large 6 foot planks, or come in smaller floor tiles that are easier for the do it yourself homeowner to install.
- Because wood is a natural material that takes a long time to grow and manufacture into flooring units, it tends to be a lot more expensive than other materials.
- Bamboo, on the other hand, is a good alternative flooring material that that is often mistaken for wood.
- Bamboo is a form of grass that grows in the tropical regions of China and matures in as little as three to six years to make it an in expensive flooring material to manufacture.
Because of this short growth time for the trees, the bamboo flooring price is significantly lower than that of traditional hard wood which can take up to centuries to grow. After the bamboo is taken down it can be separated into individual strands to be chemically and pressure treated which causes the planks to become much more durable and water resistant. Because it is treated with chemicals such as resin to make it stronger and resemble wood, bamboo flooring is often considered to be engineered wood.
In addition to its short growth cycle, the cost to treat and manufacture bamboo into the planks that are used in floors is also relatively inexpensive. In fact, this material is one of the cheapest engineered wood flooring options available.
Untreated bamboo comes in a very pale natural wash or a darker chestnut color, however, similar to wood, you can also stain bamboo in a variety of colors to match any decor scheme. While it is not impossible to find cheap wood flooring, there are other options that can be even less expensive but still provide the same elegant look one such example is laminate floors.
- This type of kitchen floor design is created by adhering a wood veneer to the top of particle board to create the look of real hardwood, however laminate flooring costs much less and is easier to maintain.
- In fact you can find laminate tile flooring for as little as $0.70 per square foot, or six foot long planks for as little as $1.50 per square foot.
- If purchased in planks, you can create a much more natural looking wood floor, however tiles tend to be a little bit easier to install.
- Another advantage to buying laminate floors over hardwood is that they are less susceptible to damage and warping due to water exposure and as a result, do not require special floor cleaning products as compared to wood.
- However, you do want to make sure that you are purchasing a good quality product. Very cheap laminate wood floors may not be made as well which can lead them to be damaged easier or replaced constantly.
- One great way to decrease the amount of money you spend on your floors is by installing them yourself.
The price for flooring installation can range anywhere from $5 to $12 per square foot, in addition to the cost of the floor and any other materials. The type of flooring that is installed also plays a role in the price. For example the cost for hardwood floors and installation can be much greater than the cost of carpeting, so keep this in mind when choosing the material. Nylon carpets in particular are inexpensive but also very durable and come in a variety of colors and fiber lengths. Depending on your choice you can find cheap carpet floors or wood floors by waiting for huge sale events and using coupons, but why spend the money when you could install a new floor yourself?
Your local home improvement store will provide you will all the products and materials necessary to install your new flooring some stores even provide classes and tips for do it yourself projects. If you are not very experienced with household tasks or do it yourself projects, you may not feel comfortable installing a new floor by yourself. In this case make sure to shop around to find low cost flooring to balance out the price you will be paying for the installation.
Find discount flooring tiles for your bathroom or kitchen by shopping for last years trends or searching online for closeout deals. Ceramic is an inexpensive floor tile that is great to install in both the kitchen and the bathroom. Ceramic tiles are made of colored porcelain that is strong, durable, water proof, and easy to clean they can be used inside on the floor, as countertops and backsplashes, or even used outside on patio flooring. However, a disadvantage to installing tile floors is that they require grout which can be very difficult to clean. If you do not want to spend a lot of time or money maintaining your floors you may want to consider an alternative to tile floors which is vinyl. Vinyl floors can be manufactured to look like tiles and because of their durability are perfect for high traffic areas such as the kitchen and bath.
Vinyl can be sold in large sheets or in smaller tiles which are a little easier to install, however vinyl sheets last longer than the tiles. For more information about this product and where to purchase cheap vinyl flooring, visit your local home improvement store.