Renovating the floors of your home is an easy and rewardingproject. There are a variety of different types of flooring ideas to choose from, ranging from hardwood to concrete, however the easiest floor material to install is a floor covering.
Floor coverings can describe any type of flooring, however they mainly consist of floor materials that are installed over an existing structure. Floor coverings are materials that are loosely installed and can be removed relatively easily such as home mats, carpeting, rugs, and various flooring tiles. Floor coverings are best installed over a hard surface, but the type of covering you choose will depend on what is already laid down. Carpeting is one of the easiest flooring materials to use because it can be installed over virtually any floor type. Carpets are great for every room, but should not be installed in the kitchen and bath because of the moisture effects of these rooms.
- How to carpet a room will depend on the size of the room as well as the type of room you are covering.
- Carpet is great for living rooms and bedrooms and can be installed in the entire room, or used in small areas.
- Carpeting that covers the entire floor can be laid out on top of any existing floor, including concrete and hardwood without destroying it because the carpet is stapled to the floor around the edges of the room.
- If you have a beautiful hardwood floor that you love but would like to add a little comfort to it, you can use an area rug.
- There is a variety of carpet design ideas for both area rugs and carpeting to choose from including many colors, shapes, and patterns.
- Choose a carpet or rug that matches the décor of your home, and will suit your needs.
- Soft, plush carpets are great for children’s rooms or living rooms because they are comfortable to sit on and enjoy a nice movie or for kids to play with their toys.
- DIY flooring installation can be complicated for carpeting as this material is not an easy do it yourself task, so it is better if you request the help of a professional.
Carpet is also great for use in basements, especially when they are built as entertainment areas or play rooms for children. When choosing a flooring material for a basement you have to be aware of the moisture that is present in the area. Because the areas can sometimes be damp it is important to choose basement floor coverings that can withstand moisture to prevent mold. Carpet is best used in basements in drier climates that do not need to worry about moisture and dampness. Carpets turn a cold, dark area into a softer more welcoming environment. But if your basement is prone to moisture, there are other flooring options to choose from that will make the room more inviting.
Basements usually contain concrete floor covering that is installed in every basement during the construction of the home.
If you like the look of the concrete, there are many DIY methods to spruce up this surface without covering it completely. Paint, stain, and sealers can be used to change the color and patterns of the concrete, as well as seal the floor to add a nice shine and protective layer to shield the surface from daily damage.
Another great material for use in the basement is rubber tiling. Rubber floor covering is a type of flooring tile that is made from rubber, making it softer and more flexible. Rubber flooring is a great choice for basements for use over top of concrete because it adds a cushion to the surface while still maintaining the hard floor. In addition, rubber is moisture resistant and very durable so it is also great for use in outdoor areas like the garage.
When choosing a type of garage floor covering you need to look at the same factors as a basement garage flooring must be moisture resistant with an added durability and strength to support cars as damage from tools or workshops that are often built in this area.
Like the basement, you can turn the drab concrete of your garage into a more stylish surface by adding paints and stains. In addition, rubber tiles can also be used in the garage to make a softer surface because they are able to withstand the potential hazards of gasoline and chemical spills. Rubber is also great for use as kitchen or bathroom flooring ideas including coverings because of its resistance to moisture as well as the texture.
- Rubber has enough texture and traction to prevent slips if water or liquids are spilled on the surface.
- As a result, it is a safer tiling option for the kitchen and bathroom remodeling ideas than ceramic or porcelain.
- Other types of floor coverings that are moisture resistant include linoleum and vinyl.
- Both of these materials can be used in the basement, but are also great for use in the kitchen and bath.
- Linoleum floor covering is a material made from natural substances such as saw dust and linseed oil that is shaped into thin tiles to be installed over hard surfaces such as concrete or wood.
- Linoleum is waterproof so it is great to use in the kitchen and bathroom and it comes in a variety of different solid and textured colors and patterns.
- This material is often installed in kitchens, bathrooms, and basements because it is durable against moisture and can withstand the daily wear and tear of the high traffic areas.
- Vinyl floor covering is another great, moisture resistant material that synthetically made from a combination of plastic and polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
- Vinyl is similar to linoleum and also great for use in the moisture prone rooms of the house.
Vinyl flooring comes in many different styles and colors and can be a solid colored tile or made to look like wood, granite, and brick. Both vinyl and linoleum are great cheap flooring options because they are less expensive than hardwood and carpeting. In addition, these materials can be installed without the help of a professional so there is no additional installation cost. An additional material that can be used as either a covering or solid flooring is wood.
Wood floor covering that is not permanently installed include wood tiles and engineered wood.
Wood tiles connect together with tabs at the edge like puzzle pieces making them easy to install. However, there are a variety of different types of wood tile flooring ideas, including ceramic that looks like wood, so make sure you pick the right kind and research the installation process beforehand to ensure an easy project. Another easy to install and cheap wood floor option is engineered hardwood.
Engineered hardwood floor covering is made of solid wood layered on top of plywood that is then laminated. You can buy unfinished or prefinished flooring and installation is much easier than natural hardwood. When installing engineered hardwood the boards click into place, making the process quick and simple. This engineered material is less expensive than the cost of wood flooring as well as easier to maintain, making it a better choice for DIY home installation. Another type of wood flooring that is easy to maintain, but not as expensive as tropical hardwood is bamboo. Bamboo adds a natural but exotic style to your home with varying colors and patterns throughout the floor. Bamboo flooring is made from a type of wood grass that grows quickly and in a variety of places so it is more renewable than hardwood from trees. It is great for use in homes because it is durable and requires minimal maintenance, making it a great option for busy homeowners.