Kitchen floor ideas must be tough and durable because this room is a high activity area.
- Because many people will be moving in and out of your kitchen, the floors need to be able to endure scratches and spills.
- DIY flooring materials that are commonly used in the kitchen are wood, tile, vinyl, and linoleum.
- The type of flooring you choose is dependent on your personal style preferences, however all materials are great for use in the kitchen.
- Hardwood flooring is great for kitchen design because wood is extremely versatile and can match almost any style.
- Wood comes in a variety of different colors and types, including oak, cedar, cherry, pine, and walnut.
- You can use wood to bring an elegant look to your kitchen design that blends into the cabinets and matches designs such as traditional, modern, and Victorian designs.
- Although wood is a great choice style wise, there are a few drawbacks to using this material in the kitchen.
- The key to maintaining beautiful diy floors is the flooring material that you use.
- Whether you're remodeling the kitchen and bath or looking to install waterproof flooring for a basement, we have the right solution for you.
Each type of floor covering material will have its pros and cons and are prone to various wears and tears, however, certain materials are more durable than others. In addition, some flooring materials are better for different areas of the home than others. Ideas for flooring are endless there are numerous hardwoods, tiles, carpets, and engineered wood flooring that can be installed in almost any room of the house.
Floors made of tile or water resistant wood are generally used in kitchens and bath where they are more prone to moisture. Carpets and wood floors are great for living rooms and bedrooms to add an elegant but warm feel to the space. Make sure to pick a type of flooring material that is best for each room of your home.
For example, if you are planning on installing flooring in the kitchen it is important to use a material that is durable and able to withstand moisture. Certain woods are easily damaged by water. Because the kitchen bathroom remodeling ideas are moisture prone environments, you have to be careful with choosing what type of natural wood you use for flooring.
An alternative to natural wood for the for both indoor and outdoor diy floors is engineered wood flooring. Engineered hardwood is made of solid wood layered on top of plywood and then laminated. The dense layers of this material allow it to withstand damp areas so it is great for places like the kitchen or bathroom. Moreover, engineered hardwood is less expensive than natural hardwood, adding to the benefits of this material. In addition to being great for use in bathrooms and kitchens, wood flooring is excellent for other rooms in your home and outside as well. Wood is great for use in bedrooms and living rooms, and can even be used for outdoor deck floor ideas.
Some common types of natural wood used for flooring are Brazilian cherry, oak, cedar and bamboo. Brazilian cherry engineered wood flooring is a popular choice among homeowners because it beautiful and long lasting, however installation often requires the help of a professional. Oak is another great option because it is more available than other types of wood and is sturdy and durable. Wood floor materials are also commonly installed above previously built patio concrete floors.
- Another popular material for diy wood floors is bamboo.
- Bamboo flooring is similar to hardwood flooring, however, it offers a more exotic look to the room.
- Bamboo often has variations in color with every piece of wood so if you are looking for a solid color all around, this material is not for you.
- The best thing about hardwood flooring is that they are versatile and relatively easy to clean.
- Learning the finer techniques of how to clean a floor depends on the type of wood you use but a broom or vacuum can be used to sweep up dust and dirt and a mild soap can be used to scrub it.
- The type of wood used for decks tend to be different than those used in the home, however the theory is the same as it is for kitchens it is important that the wood is durable and water resistant.
- There are various types materials for timber wood deck floors including pressure treated wood, composite decking, and natural woods such as IPE and cedar.
- Researching the various materials will help you to determine what type of wood is best for your decking needs.
- Do it yourself tile flooring is also a great option for the kitchen as well bathroom floor ideas.
Tiles are durable and moisture proof and come in a wide variety of materials, colors, and patterns. Popular materials for both the bathroom and kitchen include granite, natural stone, ceramic and porcelain. The best flooring tiles should be both durable and have a textured or non-slip surface to avoid dangerous situations when the floor is wet. Ceramic and porcelain are very popular tiles for both the kitchen and bath because they are hard and come in a variety of different colors.
The only downside to these materials is that they can break if a dish or pot is dropped on it. Granite and stone tend to be tougher and capable of withstanding the impact of falling objects but they are more expensive in terms of floor prices. If you are looking for cheap flooring for your kitchen or bathroom, consider engineered materials such as vinyl, laminate, and linoleum.
Vinyl flooring is a synthetic material that is made from plastic and polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Vinyl comes in many different designs and colors and can be made to look like wood, granite, and brick.
Vinyl flooring is good for use in kitchen and baths because it is moisture resistant, however it is not as durable as other materials and is prone to tears. Another inexpensive option for the kitchen or bathroom is laminate flooring. Laminate is synthetically made and sealed with a protective layer to prevent scratches and damage. It can be made to resemble wood or tile and can have any color or pattern. Laminate is durable and moisture resistant. A third option for affordable kitchen or bathroom material is linoleum flooring. Linoleum consists of a combination of natural substances such as saw dust and linseed oil and is shaped into thin tiles. It is waterproof and comes in a variety of different solid and textured colors and patterns.
Another cheap floor option is rubber flooring. Rubber floor tiles can be placed in kitchen and baths and is waterproof and more durable than vinyl and linoleum. In addition, rubber tiles are safer that ceramic or porcelain tiles because they have enough traction to prevent slipping from water spills. Flooring options for your home are limitless, so make sure to pick the right material for each room.