There are numerous flooring ideas, ranging from carpet, tiles, vinyl, and wood floors. The type of material you choose depends on both the room of the house and the style that you are trying to achieve.
Wood flooring is great for providing elegant, natural looks to living rooms and dining rooms, whereas tile is better suited for areas such as the kitchen or bathroom. While there are numerous options for flooring materials, this article focuses on hardwood floors and the different options available. Hardwood floors are a great addition to any home because they instantly increase the resale value. How much to install wood floors adds a timeless, classic look to any room of the house and matches almost any design style possible.
- Wood floors are extremely versatile, making them great additions to every room of your house whether it be your bedroom, kitchen, or deck.
- There are many different types of hardwood floors to use in your home. The best hardwood flooring is one that is solid and durable.
- Solid woods are those that are in their natural form and are not reshaped to change the structure.
- The best types of solid woods to use are exotic hardwoods such as Brazilian cherry or cedar wood decking.
- Brazilian cherry is both beautiful and long lasting.
- It can be bought unfinished or prefinished, depending on your preferences, however prefinished wood is easier to install and prevents damage during installation.
- Brazilian cherry is extremely durable and long lasting, however it is quite costly.
- A cheaper option for hardwood flooring is oak and timber wood.
- Oak is extremely popular in homes because it is a naturally durable solid American hardwood.
- It’s beautiful color and texture is attractive in almost any home décor and it is long lasting.
In addition oak can be used for hardwood deck flooring ideas because of its natural strength and toughness. Although hardwood flooring is strong and durable, natural wood is often not suitable for moisture prone areas such as the kitchen or bathroom. Hardwood kitchen flooring ideas are beautiful in combination with the wood cabinets, however, they must be made from a material that is able to withstand moisture.
Natural hardwoods that are moisture resistant are generally on the expensive side. As a result, there are alternative materials that look like wood, but are man-made.
Engineered hardwood flooring is made of solid wood layered on top of plywood. Several sheets of natural hardwood are layered on top of each other, sanded and shaped into boards and then laminated. Engineered hardwood is considered better than natural hardwood because it is less expensive and more durable. In addition, hardwood floor installation is easier when using engineered wood because they can be easily installed by any DIY homeowner.
- There are many types and styles of engineered hardwood.
- Oak, cedar, and cherry woods can be used to construct this material for different color palettes.
- In addition, there are more exotic types such as bamboo wood flooring.
- Bamboo has variations of color throughout each plank, so it adds nice color patterns to your floor.
- If you are looking for a solid color, this is not the right choice for you, however bamboo can spice up and bland room by adding style to the floor.
- Because natural wood is often so expensive, real hardwood flooring is not an option for homeowners on a budget.
- However, there are other options for cheap hardwood floors that provide the beautiful look without the outrageous cost.
- Engineered wood flooring is less expensive than natural wood, however another similar material is laminate.
- Hardwood laminate flooring is a synthetically made material that is sealed with a protective layer to prevent scratches and damage.
- Laminate is a durable and moisture resistant so it is excellent for areas prone to dampness such as kitchens, bathrooms, and basements.
This material can be made to look like different kinds of woods and are the best alternative option to real hardwood floors because cheaper, easier to install, and just as durable. Laminate comes in hardwood floor tiles that lock into place so they can be quickly and easily installed in any room. Another substitute for natural hard wood is vinyl. Vinyl is also a synthetic material like laminate, however it tends to be more expensive.
On the other hand, vinyl is easier to maintain, adding to its appeal. Like laminate, vinyl comes in a variety of different patterns and can be made to resemble wood material. Hardwood vinyl flooring is a great option for bathrooms, kitchens, and basements as well because it can withstand moisture just as well as laminate. Another benefit to both laminate and vinyl is that using these materials avoid the hassle of hardwood floor refinishing. These materials are already sealed and protected so the only maintenance required is easy cleaning.