Once you have decided on the best types of flooring to install in your kitchen, living room, bathroom, or bedroom, it is not unlikely that you will want to keep it unscathed and undamaged for as long as possible.
In order to keep your floors smooth, polished, and clean for extended periods of time it is necessary to protect and maintain them. Floors can be protected against damage by sealing them with special agents to protect liquids from seeping in and staining them. Unlike safely vacuuming carpeting or rug to eliminate debris, vacuums can easily scratch floors. You can also keep your floors looking like new by washing them periodically to remove set in stains from food and scuff marks from shoes.
Whether you're repairing a deck or cleaning the kitchen floor, it's a simple diy task that should be completed routinely to maintain your floors and the cleanliness of your home.
There are a variety of materials that can be used as flooring in your home including wood, tile, stone, cement, carpet, vinyl, and laminate. Each of these materials have different cleaning requirements, for example the best way to clean hardwood floors is vastly different from that of carpets, however some tiles and laminates can be washed with the same solution.
Therefore it is important to do a little research before undertaking this chore to ensure you do not ruin your floors.
- If you are unsure of how to clean bathroom flooring ideas you can also hire a professional cleaning company to do it for you.
- These companies have teams of specialists who are well versed in the proper cleaning products and methods that should be used for a variety of different flooring.
- They also have floor cleaning machines that are able to remove some stains that you would not be able to on your own.
- Learning how to clean wood floors is a relatively simple task that can be accomplished by any homeowner, all you need are a few straightforward tips and materials and you will be on your way to having a beautiful polished surface again.
The first thing to do when cleaning a wooden deck floor or inside hardwood, pick up all items off of the floor including clothing, books, rugs and moving furniture. After the space is cleared, make sure to sweep up any remaining dirt, dust and debris. You can do this by using a broom, microfiber dusting pad, or the ever-handy vacuum make sure you vacuum along the floor boards and edges as well to remove all the dust.
Once the dirt is eliminated you can get onto the main task, washing the wood. Find a hardwood cleaning product that is safe to use on your floors, solutions that contain a little bit of wax are really good to use because they can add a little extra shine.
Next, get a clean rag, cloth, mop or microfiber pad and begin cleaning always make sure to use small amounts of the cleaning solution and follow the grain of the wood to get the most optimum clean. Of course not all wood surfaces can be washed with the same products, ones that contain alkaline and wax cannot be used for bamboo floor cleaning.
To prevent harming your indoor or outdoor patio floors, make sure you check the label on the bottle before using the solution.
If your floors have incurred a lot of traffic and damage that you cannot seem to fix yourself, another option is to hire a professional company to come in with a hardwood floor cleaning machine.
- These machines can clean and polish your floors to get them back to looking like new.
- Laminate flooring is made of a wood veneer adhered to the top of particle board to give the look of faux wood, however it is much less expensive and also easier uphold.
- Similar to wood and tile floors, it is important to vacuum or sweep the laminate before washing it to prevent the floor from being scratched by left over dirt.
- You can purchase commercial laminate floor cleaning products to wash the surface or you can create a homemade a natural solution from vinegar.
- Combine equal parts of vinegar, water and rubbing alcohol, as well as a small amount of detergent to add a little extra power.
This solution can then be sprayed on a cloth and wiped across your laminate floors, or it can be sprayed directly onto the floor itself. Just make sure you do not pour excessive amounts of the solution onto the laminate, as it can damage the veneer and cause it to warp. This homemade solution can also be used for vinyl floor cleaning, as well as on carpets and tile. While bleach is often not recommended for use on wood and laminate flooring, it can be used to clean vinyl and some tiles. Bleach is a good cleaning product because it not only removes dirt and grime, but also sanitizes and disinfects surfaces. Mix one part bleach with two parts water into a bucket to make the cleaning solution next find a clean rag or mop, saturate it with the bleach solution and begin cleaning. Bleach is especially good for removing dirt from grout, however if the tile or grout is colored you will need to be very careful and use a color safe bleach that will not remove the color. A visit to your local home improvement store can also give you more information on how to clean tile floors.