The floor of your home is one of the most important aspects because it comprises one of the largest surface areas of your house. Because the floor takes up a vast amount of the space in your home, it is often the focal point of every room.
The type of flooring material, design, and color can make or break a room. As a result, you want to be careful when choosing what style floor you want to install in your home. Not only do you want the style to be right, but you will also want to pick a material that will last a long time and is durable against daily wears and tears of households. When remodeling your home, there are many different options for best flooring ideas. This article discusses vinyl flooring as an option for DIY homeowners to install in various rooms of their house.
Vinyl is a synthetically made flooring material that consists of a combination of plastic and polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
Many often confuse this material with vinyl linoleum flooring, however the two are quite different.
- Vinyl is similar to linoleum, however they are actually different. Linoleum is made from a combination of natural materials while vinyl is all synthetic.
- Vinyl flooring comes in many different styles and colors and can be a solid colored tile or made to look like wood, granite, and brick.
- This is great cheap vinyl flooring ideas for bathrooms and kitchens because it is moisture resistant, however it is not as durable as other materials and is prone to tears.
- A cheap floor deal with vinyl covering is easy to clean and maintain all you need to do is vacuum or sweep up dirt and wash with a mild detergent.
- There are special soaps specifically for this material, however the easiest and most do it yourself option is a vinyl floor cleaning agent is water with a little bit of dish soap.
- Before cleaning, make sure to use the right products for the type of finish you have on your floor.
When finishing your vinyl floor you can choose from three different types of finishes including no wax, urethane, and enhanced urethane. The type of finish you choose will depend on how often the room is used. No wax is better for rooms with low traffic while enhanced urethane is better for rooms with high traffic. Make sure to choose the right type of finish for your room so that the flooring with be tough and durable. There are a variety of different options when it comes to vinyl flooring.
It comes in different forms, the most popular being tile and sheet vinyl. Vinyl flooring tiles are the most popular choice for adding style and patterns to a room. Vinyl tiles are generally large, however you can have your tile custom cut to specific dimensions. Because they tiles are individually placed, you can use different colors to create patterns, adding a unique look to your room.
- Vinyl wood flooring has tiles that are made to look like hardwood.
- Typical patterns include checkered tiles, alternating colors, as well as multicolored tiled floors. In addition to having different colors, vinyl tiles can have different textures too.
- This style is a great replacement for real wood because you do not have to worry about vinyl being damaged from moisture.
- Vinyl wood tile can be installed in moisture prone areas like kitchens and bathrooms, adding the natural look of grainy wood without worrying about it being damaged.
- The vinyl wood tiles usually look like similar to wood planks. If you want a more sturdy form of vinyl wood you can purchase vinyl laminate flooring.
- This type of material is very durable and can last longer than regular vinyl. In addition, it is dent, stain, and heat resistant making it a tougher product.
Using this material instead of real wood allows you to have wood floors in rooms that are prone to dampness. Because vinyl is moisture resistant, it is a great option for damp areas such as the basement. Vinyl flooring in basement adds a touch of color to the area, making it a little less drab. Another form of vinyl flooring is sheet is the larger size vinyl. Sheet vinyl is material that comes in large widths to just lie onto existing floors.
The sheets come in widths ranging from 6-12 feet. Sheet vinyl flooring for kitchen is a great option because you avoid the use of grout, and thus the risk of staining. While vinyl sheets may seem like the installation option, they are not. Because of the large surface area, sheet vinyl is often hard to install. As a result, it is often recommended that you hire a professional to install this form of flooring. Other vinyl flooring installation can be done on your own, however it is better that you request the assistance of a professional for sheet vinyl.