Gardens are a great addition to any home because they add a beautiful, colorful touch to your yard. There are various types of gardens that can be included into your landscape, with one of the most popular options being a raised flower bed.
Raised beds are a type of above ground garden in which the planters are stationed between 6 inches and waist high heights. Why raised garden beds are becoming popular is because this elevated set up makes gardening easier by preventing homeowners from having to bend over or kneel when caring for their plants. In addition, raised planting beds can be installed in your yard as well as on your deck or patio.
- Building a raised bed on a patio or deck is a great way to add natural, colorful décor to your outdoor living space.
- How to build a raised bed garden depends on what style of design you wish to use and the type of plants you would like to grow.
- Here you can find the top raised garden bed ideas, pictures and design plans that will help you to choose the right style, look, and plants for your home.
There are a variety of different styles to choose from when constructing a raised bed garden. The most popular raised bed garden trends include plastic, clay, and wood. Plastic elevated planting beds are a great option for homeowners on a budget because they are inexpensive as well as practical. You can choose from a variety of shapes, designs, sizes and hues of plastics for a cheap and colorful option for your deck.
Other common patio garden ideas include terra cotta or clay planters and flower pots. Clay pots are great options for garden beds because the porosity of the material allows for air and moisture to soak into the plants, promoting healthy growth. Clay is a great option for homeowners who want to add a beautiful style to their deck or patio. You can find colorful photos of raised garden beds made from clay to help you pick the right look for your home. The next option for raised bed planters materials is wood.
Wood is a great choice for raised bed garden on concrete or other types of decks and patios because it adds a natural look to the plants.
The best wood to use for raised beds is cedar and teak because they are the most water and rot resistant. If you prefer a more unique style for your planter, consider using recycled wood pallets. Raised garden beds made from wood pallets not only add a stylish look to your garden but are also inexpensive. Other ways to create cool garden planter boxes include using old clawed foot tubs or wood chests covered with plastic liner.
These old items add a personalized and unique style to your patio at a reasonable price. In addition to their aesthetic appeal, structures such as old tubs create a quick and easy installation for your garden bed. Another simple garden bed option for you yard is to use a kit. Raised bed kits contain everything necessary to for construction including wood and corner brackets to make the installation process effortless.
The top rated raised bed kits are made from recycled materials and can also be expanded into larger structures. Elevated garden bed reviews suggest that these kits are the best tools for inexperienced homeowners.
The next thing to consider when constructing your elevated garden is what to grow in a raised bed.
- Just like other landscaping plots, you can grow many different plants including flowers, vegetables, and shrubs.
- Raised bed vegetable gardens are a popular choice for many homeowners because they not only add a colorful touch to your deck or yard but also provides you with a source of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Growing fruit and vegetables in raised beds is easy, however, it is important to pick plants that grow well in small spaces.
- Cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, squash and onions are ideal choices for elevated gardens because they grow nicely in planters.
- If you choose to grow vegetables, consider constructing a raised bed with trellis to supply your plants with a way to spread out and develop properly.
- Herbs are another great choice for planters because they are easy to grow and, like vegetables, provide you with a fresh source of seasonings for your meals.
- Here you can find ’s top herb garden plans for any type of plot, both elevated and level layouts.
In addition to vegetables or herbs, you can also grow flowers in these elevated pots and planters. Flowers are not only easier to grow than vegetables, but they also add a homier decoration to your outdoors. In , the best flower garden ideas used fast growing and drought resistant plants such as daisies, begonias, marigolds, and petunias. Take a trip to your local nursery to find the best flowers for pots and planters and which ones grow well in your area. In addition to taking your climate into consideration, the type of soil you use in your garden is also important. The best soil for raised beds is a planting mix, rather than a potting mix because it drains slower, keeping in more moisture and nurturing your plants.
Another great way to keep yours plants healthy and safe is to add a bed cover to your garden. Bed covers prevent insects and frost from damaging your plants and increasing their lifespan.
While raised beds are most commonly used as a garden for a deck or patio, they can also be incorporated into your backyard or front yard landscaping. Just like those built on patios, raised gardens in the yard can be made from plastic, clay or wood. However, another popular material to use for gardens in the yard is stones. Easy landscaping ideas with raised beds make use of stones, bricks, or pavers to create a type of retaining wall that will hold in your plants, vegetables, or flowers.
These types of gardens add a beautiful, cottage look to your home and the stones add to the natural look of your outdoor environment. Elevated gardens that are incorporated into the landscape are most frequently placed along the edge of homes, decks, patios, and fences surrounding the yard. If you lack a green thumb but still want to include some plants or flowers into your landscaping decorations, popular but simple home garden ideas include hanging flower pots and railing planters.
These types of pots provide you with a small and easy way to take care of your plants.