Planting trees in your throughout your property is a great way to add a touch of natural color and texture to your landscape and accentuate your home.
- However, because some trees can be very large and overpowering, it is important to choose the proper sizes to highlight your home.
- Small trees are every diy homeowners dream plant because they can fit in any size yard, are very versatile, and easy to grow.
- Small trees can be planted in any yard without taking up too much space or overshadowing the design of your home.
Planting a small tree on your property can not only bring you welcomed shade during hot days, but also provide you with a beautiful landscape filled with a variety of colors, shapes, and textures. Here you will find a vast source of information on the best small trees for small gardens and homes. Not only do we offer insight into what types of trees to plant, but we also have an assortment of the best pictures of small trees and the top landscape design schemes to help provide you with inspiration to create the perfect outdoor oasis.
- There are many different types of small trees to plant in your front or backyard, each with different growing seasons, climates and locations.
- Before purchasing your plants, determine what type of function you would like your miniature trees to take on.
- Many homeowners choose to plant small trees in their yard to enhance the look of their landscape by adding a splash of color to the area.
- Some use certain small tree varieties as a way to add natural shade to an area or to create a perimeter around the yard for extra privacy.
- The best type of trees to use for added privacy in your yard is an evergreen.
- Small evergreen trees such as Corneliancherry Dogwood and Japanese Tree Lilac, are those that grow year round and maintain their green foliage through both the winter and summer months.
- This makes them ideal choices for people wishing to create a barrier between their property and their neighbors’.
- In addition, small evergreens are great small trees for a home garden because they provide a beautiful, dark green backdrop that contrasts well with colorful flower beds.
Conifer trees such as pine, fir, cypress and juniper also act as a fence to increase privacy as long as they are kept small. Dwarf conifers work great as small trees for small yards because they are easy to grow, attract friendly wild life, and provide a beautiful green color to the landscape all year. If you are looking for tiny trees that provide ample shade, think about purchasing a plant that blooms more outward than evergreens or conifers.
Dwarf trees for landscaping not only produce a great shaded area for your yard, but also offer colorful foliage and blossoms to bring some natural beauty to the area. One of the most popular shade trees used among homeowners in North America during is the flowering dogwood. Dogwood trees produce gorgeous white or pink flowers in the spring that turn into striking red and purple foliage in the fall.
Other commonly used dwarf flowering trees include magnolia trees. The dwarf magnolia has large, dark green leaves with flowers that can bloom in shades of pinks, purples, and whites that provide a bright and natural color to your yard.
Other trend options for simple landscaping ideas with small trees include the use of red buds or cherry trees. Miniature red bud trees are an excellent choice for the do it yourself landscaper because they are easy to grow and provide you yard with a beautiful display of color. These trees contain elegant heart shaped leaves that bloom white or pink flowers in the spring, but transform into a deep golden yellow in the fall. View our backyard photos to look at images of these types of small trees as well as many others to help you choose which plant will look best in your home. Cherry blossom trees are also very in style this season.
These flowering cherry trees produce magnificent blossoms that vary between a bright white bud and deep pink colors. These trees can be used to add a splash of color to an otherwise dull yard, or they can be used to enhance a stylish Japanese garden. The cherry blossom tree is native to Japan and represents a unique part of the Asian culture. Japanese cherry trees are often used in oriental gardens as a distinct focal point.
A more tropical landscape, Japanese red maples are some of the most beautiful small trees to plant in your yard, providing a gorgeous display of color during the fall. They are great for use in Japanese gardens because they enhance the design with their red to orange foliage. Tiny Japanese tree lilacs are also great choices for oriental styled gardens or yards that produce beautiful cream colored flowers that contrast well with the copper colored bark.
In addition to its vibrant look, lilacs will provide your yard with a wonderful smelling fragrance throughout the spring and summer months. Other top choices for small ornamental trees that can be incorporated into your outdoor design plans include species such as the Carolina Silverbell, Golden train tree, and mini palm trees. Carolina Silverbells are a top choice because of the shape and beauty of their flowers. These small trees for landscaping produce stunning white, hanging clusters of bell shaped flowers every spring.
Golden chain trees are also perfect to use for outdoor decoration on your property, creating a lush collection of exquisite yellow flowers in the spring and summer. These flowers bloom in a chain like fashion that can hang up to two feet in length. For those who prefer a more neutral color, but exotic look, consider planting a mini palm.
Small palm trees, a common plant in both tropical and southern North American regions, are a great way to bring a tropical feel to your yard.
Palm trees have a thick trunk with no branches that grow large, fawning leaves and pretty flowers during the spring. Although most grow to be very large, miniature shrubs and bushes like versions can be grown in your own backyard with ease. These small trees, as well as other can be purchased at your local nursery as well as online. Visiting tree nurseries not only allow you to look at a variety of different plants, but it also permits you to discuss the best options for you and your home with a sales associate. If you prefer to mail order trees, you can also peruse an online tree nursery from the comforts of home.