Looking to provide a roof or some type of shade structure to your outdoor living area, consider installing a patio cover.
- With our popular covered patio ideas and plans, you can easily begin designing and planning the best outdoor roof cover for your backyard.
- Patio covers are roof like structures that not only block unwanted UV rays, but also add a beautiful decorative touch to the area.
- Covered porches are very common among homeowners today, creating a year round space for you to enjoy the outdoors free of sun and rain.
- When looking for outdoor covered patio designs, there are a variety of different ideas and plans to choose from.
- Popular patio cover design plans include gazebos, arbors, awnings, and lattice structures.
They can be permanent, built in structures that are constructed into your deck plans, or temporary roofs that can be set up on your patio or in various parts of your backyard for outdoor entertaining.
Home Design Ideas you can find a vast assortment of useful information, including reviews of the best materials to use, tips on do it yourself construction, as well as pictures of patio covers that will help you to create a backyard that your neighbors will envy.
When building a patio cover on your deck or in your back yard, the first thing to do is choose the proper design. There are many different types of patio cover roofs to choose from, differing in both materials used and overall design. Popular outdoor living areas with patio covers include gazebos, pergolas, fabric awnings, aluminum roofs, and lattice structures.
For those homeowners who prefer free standing patio roofs, your best option will be a gazebo or pergola. These are both detached structures that offer a shaded area with open sides. Pergola deck designs are often used for shaded walkways or sun rooms because of their open arrangement, however they are also commonly used in patio cover plans.
Roofed pergola structures consist of vertical posts or pillars that are used to support an open lattice roof. These cross beams are situated so that some sun can still peak in through the openings. Some homeowners choose to leave this outdoor sun shade area open, creating the perfect place to gaze at the stars in the evening, while others decorate their new patio design plans with plants or fabrics.
For those looking for a more solid roof for your deck a gazebo is the better option for you. Similar to the pergola, a outdoor gazebo canopy is a freestanding structure with open sides, however, they are enclosed by a solid roof to block the sun and protect you and your patio deck from inclement weather. Gazebos are most commonly incorporated into garden designs, however they can also be constructed on your deck. They are made from wood materials and can be decorated with stone or brick for added elegance. Like the pergola, gazebos can be decorated with hanging or potted plants or fabrics.