The easiest way to expand your outdoor living space and create a relaxing outdoor entertainment area is to build a patio in your back yard.
- Patios are paved areas your yard that are used for outdoor recreation such as dining or entertaining guests.
- They can be made of concrete, brick, stone, or tile and are usually attached to a home at one of the edges.
- Patios are excellent additions to any home because they provide you with an outdoor living space that is separate from your yard.
- With the right patio design ideas you can relax or entertain guests outside on a solid surface without all the troubles of sitting standing in dirt, mud or grass.
- Because they can be made of so many different materials, there are options for patio design.
- This article focuses on patio flooring and the best materials for the homeowner to use when constructing their outdoor living area.
Outdoor patio flooring ideas range from simple concrete to more extravagant stone tiles.
The most popular patio flooring material to use is a concrete. A concrete patio floor offers a variety of design and decorative options because of its simplicity and natural design. You can opt for the natural stone grey color of concrete for your patio, or you can stain a certain color. These stained concrete floors come in a variety of different colors.
You can purchase stain for concrete at your local home improvement store and achieve hues such as blue, green, red, brown, or black. Concrete is one of the best materials to use for patio flooring because it is durable, long lasting, and easy to maintain. Concrete can withstand the toughest weather conditions including rain, snow, heat and cold weather.
In addition, concrete is also able to endure the damaging strength of bright sunlight and UV rays. Since concrete is so sturdy, it is a great option for garage flooring because it can hold up against the weight of the car and potential oil spills. Not only is concrete durable, but this type of patio flooring has the added benefit of being easy to clean and maintain.
In order to clean concrete floors all you need to do is use a broom or leaf blower to remove dirt, dust, and leaves and then spray it down with some water and a mild detergent, making your patio good as new. There are many other options for outdoor flooring ideas for your patio including brick and stone. Brick is a popular material used for patio flooring and it provides a very classic look to your outdoor area.
- Brick was commonly used to pave old streets, so using this material for your patio creates an old fashioned look for the space.
- Like concrete, brick is a very durable material that can withstand heavy objects and inclement weather conditions.
- Not only is it durable, but brick is also fire proof, making it an excellent choice for use as outdoor kitchens.
- Brick can be laid out in different ways to add style and flair to your patio.
- You can incorporate different colored bricks into your design to create a checkered look or create shapes in your patio floor.
- Another great material to use for patio flooring is stone.
There are many different types of patio stone flooring to choose from, including cobblestone, flagstone, and travertine. Flagstone is a natural stone that is used to add a rocky look to your patio. These stones can be shaped into circles, squares, or irregular shapes, depending on the look you are trying to achieve. Typically design patterns for patio pavers and flagstone have several large stones surrounded by smaller ones in a disorganized fashion.
Cobblestone is a combination of brick and flagstone flooring. It has the natural stone look of flagstone, however it tends to be shaped and laid out in a more organized fashion. Cobblestone, like landscape brick, is great for traditional styles because it creates an old English feel for your patio. Travertine is a type of limestone that is often used for patios.
Unlike flagstone and cobblestone, travertine is often similarly shaped into square patio floor tiles. Travertine a very durable material that is great for use on patios because it can with stand moisture and harsh weather conditions. This outdoor tile floor material can be used to create woodsy feel in your back yard because of dark stone appearance.
Similar to concrete, travertine is a fire proof material and works great as kitchen flooring tiles outside because of this added safety feature. Other patio flooring options include more unconventional materials such as carpet and rubber. Outdoor carpeting is a great choice for homeowners who want a softer feel to their patio. It is made from synthetic materials to make it weather proof and longer lasting.
Carpet is great for outdoor front porch flooring options because it adds both color and comfort to the area. It is best used in covered areas, such as decks or patios with roofs, however outdoor carpet can be installed on patios that do not have a covering. Carpeting is easily placed overtop of concrete patios, so installation is quick and easy.
Rubber is another option for patio flooring materials. Outdoor rubber flooring is a great material for high traffic areas such as decks and patios. It is waterproof and slip resistant, making it a great material for homes with children. Another benefit of rubber flooring is that it doesn’t have to be permanent. You can purchase interlocking deck tiles that connect together and can be laid on top of any surface, turning your patio into a safer and more comfortable area.